Tuesday 23 June 2015



​Club Muzik’s
A R T I S I A
voice of the stars


Interview with Sammi Yumnam by Club Muzik


Sammi Yumnam is an independent vocal artist from Imphal who strive towards multi genre singing perfection. She is the nurtured child of a strong artistic family background and brains from various renowned artist of Manipur.

CM: Who put you into the bed of music?

SAMMI: Definitely my whole family: Mom, dad and my elder siblings, Ichema and Tamo. As far as my memory can take me back, as a small girl I was given the freedom to sing my heart out in the household or at the leikai’s yaosang club, listen to all the records they had at the time (Ichema had huge collections of the 90s boy bands’ cassettes and Tamo had this random crazy collections of pop and rap music that I’d sing and rap along with!) and watch the MTV channel and Channel [V] with them. In my childhood, I had this experience of mom and dad singing with Oja Pabung (renowned Hindustani classical music teacher late. H. Modhu Sharma) every evening. It not only made an impression on my mind but I was taught to revere music from a very young age.

CM: Family’s relation with art.

SAMMI: It is with great honour and humility as I share this. As far as my family heritage is concerned, I hail from quite an artistically vibrant background. Both my parents are devoted to the field of art themselves but they have always maintained the academic atmosphere in the family to remain dominant and a priority. We have been brought up in an environment that strictly regards academics as the most essential element that binds everything else together. Academic excellence and extra-curricular activities go hand in hand. My mom, Chongtham Rita Devi, is an English lecturer and a writer who has earned her Visharad degree in Hindustani classical music and Natyacharya degree in Manipuri dance. My dad, Yumnam Shantikumar Singh, a retired teacher, is a Hindustani classical and ghazal singer who performed abundantly in his heyday and also an approved ‘modern song’ singer of AIR Imphal. Both of them are the strongest pillars of support in my music, dance and academic careers. Their never ending encouragement, words of wisdom and strict way of bringing us up have shaped our whole approach and attitude towards life and art.  And I have my 2 sisters, Ichema (Devashree), who has the sweetest voice; Badee (Bageshree), who has got some serious pipes and my only brother Tamo (Ashish), who has the craziest passion for music. They are the most insanely caring bunch of people that I could ever ask for in my life. The person that I am today is because of these wonderful people in my life (big smiles).

CM: Apart from talent, what do we need for success?

SAMMI: “Talent rides on character...” my mom always says. And I speak from experience, character is everything tripled with humility, respect and perseverance. Talent is just a small portion of the pie. I have met these insanely talented people who have the utmost respect and appreciation for their talented peers. Their humble attitude have impressed me deeply and struck a chord in my heart. Humility is thus a noble element needed in an artist’s life. This gesture of theirs which echoes of greatness is so beautiful and makes me want to work on how I carry myself in this circle. I am glad I have this to take away from all the great talents I have come across in my life. Their general attitude just speaks a lot louder than their gifted skills. Devotion to their respective art, hard work and sincerity are also essential to reach the top of success.
And yes. A little touch of humour makes the mood a little more relaxing in the jam pad, doesn’t it? (smiles)

CM: Which vocal styles do you like the most and why?

SAMMI: The thing is I listen to many styles of music as much as I can and try to imbibe them into my system. That’s how I learn and grow anyway. Opening up to various genres gives me a perspective of the different vocal techniques and styles that I can use on myself besides widening my musical repertoire. But one thing I try to stick to is POWER. Power-driven vocal style of music excites me. From power comes tone texture and tricks to manipulate my vocal pipes. However if I have to name a style, there is a couple of them out there close to my heart. With time my tastes have also changed. As a high school kid, I grew up listening from pop, country to rock music, classic to modern alternative. I used to worship Alanis Morissette’s bold attitude, her lyrics and that unique voice of hers. She still inspires me till today. And every night I used to fall asleep listening to the ethereal sounds of Pink Floyd, David Gilmour’s soothing voice and guitar and Joe Satriani (I still do!)
And when I entered my college years, my ears started to develop a taste towards the rich vibrant sounds of blues rock like Eric Clapton, Dire Straits, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith and the mellower soulful blues/r&b/soul/jazz/swing music especially those of the 50s 60s eras. The power-packed booming vocals of the big Black women like Big Mama Thornton, Aretha Franklin, Etta James and Nina Simone just completely threw me off the cliff. I truly admire the effortless vocal instruments of these soul sisters. Amen! And then I started tapping into the craziness of Miss Janis Joplin’s intimidating and electric style of singing. The personality of her gritty high pitched shrilly husky voice is insanely out of this world. I will be God-honest and say that even attempting to sing her songs gives me the heebie-jeebies. But I want to clear one thing here, I sing Janis because I am simply a huge fan of hers like anybody else but I am not stupid to even let the thought of imitating her giant of a vocal or eccentric style of singing cross my mind. She sings like an angel in pain, like there is no tomorrow. I experience this incredible connection with the words in her songs and her voice so vulnerable that makes the hairs on my neck stand. That’s why I love singing her songs.
I also love the vocal strengths and styles of Steve Tyler, Robert Plant, Jack White, Chris Martin, Michael Buble, Adele, Alicia Keys, Amy Winehouse, Duffy, Joss Stone and Beyonce. And my list is quite long!     


CM: When do you feel you have reached the depth of a song?

SAMMI: That is when I get totally lost inside the song. When I am fully in the zone I do forget I am performing for an audience. I am singing for my own soul. And it’s like when I hear the crowd cheering, I am back to my senses. It’s a thrilling experience. Singing is absolutely spiritual to me.
I have had a couple of occasions when people came up to me after my performance and said, ‘’ you gave me these...” and showed me the hairs on their arms stand. Oh my..! What..!!?? Did I do that!? It is extremely humbling and beyond belief when something like that happens once in a while. Out of this world feeling! I feel like I have accomplished what I set out to do: to connect. For me that’s the whole point of doing music, when you are able to invoke something in the audience who is listening to you, when you are able to give them an experience. I am not just singing on a fancy stage all dressed up for a show, I am telling a story through the energy of those words, notes, melodies and movements. I want you to feel that energy and those emotions projected by the song. Basically, I get high on the music. And I am more than happy to share this experience with people who are looking for one. It’s all about the FEEL of the song that gets everyone going. And a big shout-out to those who get me (smiles).


CM: What do you do in particular apart from music?

SAMMI: Apart from music, I spend a good amount of time with my books. Since my nursery throughout my high school and college, I have been a student of good grades and I try to maintain that. I am a student of B.A Education honours in my final semester. I am also a Japanese Language student. I take keen interest in this language and their culture. I also learn and perform Manipuri Classical Solo Dance. I like reading novels & articles, I write poems and random stuff and am a big time foodie! I am fascinated by the powers of human mind and the universe in all its glory.


CM: Any musical qualification? Who helped you with the lessons?

SAMMI: I am learning Hindustani Classical music under the guidance of Shri. Sagolsem Krishna. Ka Krishna has been a close family friend even before I was born. I have passed my 3rd year (Madhyama) from SSBD Music College Imphal. I am however currently taking a break due to my final year of college. Mostly my mom helps me with this area of music and so does my dad.  Though not my strongest suit, Hindustani Classical Music has helped me build my vocal strength and versatility. And I find it challenging and I take pride in it because it’s a family tradition of ours.


CM: Any other art forms from music?

SAMMI: Since my childhood, I very often used to follow my mom and attended Basanta rasa and Maharasa as we reside near the Govindaji temple. Also I learnt initial Bhangi and Chali steps from Oja Shrimati Ibemhal Devi of Government Dance College Imphal. Growing up I joined FADAC (Federal Academy of Dance and Culture) as a student and a performer. Presently I am learning solo Manipuri classical dance under the guidance of Oja Shri P. Dhanajit and OJa Shri. T. Tiken. I have performed solo classical dance on many occasions since my high school till present. In future I do have plans of completing my degree in it after getting my music degree.


CM: How would you prefer the reward of your works?

SAMMI: Whatever I do and achieve in any field regardless, making my parents proud and seeing the smiles on their faces. That is the biggest reward I can ever ask for. And I also want to feel the contentment myself of having done something that I can be proud of and that my family can be proud of. And the simple gesture of my well wishers and friends showing appreciation and commending me on my efforts makes me want to push ahead.


CM: Associated with any other musical personalities?

SAMMI: Among whose association I spent my childhood with, late Hajarimayum Modhu Sharma whom I used to call Oja Pabung is one. Another very loving and great man I came across was Eiga Pabung (late B. Jayantakumar Sharma) whose words of love are still ringing in my ears as if they were yesterday. And Mamo Pahari (Late Nongmaithem Pahari) is another who was close to our family. It was not known to me as a child that these loving people in my life were great personalities in the field of music. I pay my respect to these blessed souls.
 And then seven years ago, I joined this big family of “rock” music circle through the band Cygnus (Da Thoi, Da Vavindra, Da Bungobi, Billai and Suren). I have come across so many great people since then, and I constantly learn from them now and then. I call myself very lucky to be in the company of Guru Rewben Mashangva (Naga Folk Blues), Ringo Golmei (former Phynyx), Vikram Chongtham (Fubar Ghetto), Chongtham Thoi (Cleave), G. Nandaraj (Pulse Pundit) and few other musical giants of this fraternity. Getting a chance to play and perform with this pantheon of great musicians is a huge learning experience for a kid like me who is still growing and absorbing every bit of advice they give. To receive words of encouragement from these folks is priceless. They teach me what it really takes to stay in the game and hold my ground.


CM: How is your musical illusion?

SAMMI: Someday I want to be able to dress up as a jazz singer from the 50s, vintage style and sing “My Funny Valentine” and “Cry Me a River” somewhere in a cool jazz bar in New York. Wouldn’t that be a dream come true (smiles)..!
Anyways, I want to go far ahead with my music and touch people’s hearts. All I ask for is their love and support which act as my fuel. I want to travel the world for big music festivals and my love for performing arts will grow. And I want to thank those who watch out for me and encourage my genuine passion for singing.
I do have this vision of our government starting notice the unexplored young talents of this land as far as the scene of “Rock” music goes. We should be provided a platform to showcase our talents and reach out to the world outside at large. Where is the encouragement, the support and the incentives? Here I want to draw attention of the state government. I want to hear about music schemes and scholarships for talented kids. Our tiny land sprouts latent talents day by day and they need nurturing. We have so much potential that is just brushed aside and hushed. But on a positive note, today we are seeing a gradual change in the scene thanks to the youths of this generation, whose voices are growing louder and ever persistent.

CM: Do you really like your voice compared to other famous voices, what is that so special about your voice?

SAMMI: I do listen to the voices of famous people and try to take notes of the techniques they use. I am still learning and I don’t consider myself to have a great voice for me to even start making comparisons with them in the first place. I still haven’t reached that height. I have a long way to go. There are times I really hate my voice and don’t even listen to myself sing let alone liking it. It’s rare to find myself say… ” Hey I sang good this time…or that song”. I am my own harshest critic and I still am not completely satisfied with my voice because I can hear the flaws, knowing that I can do much better. I have to constantly work on myself and improve, improve and improve. It is a longing desire of mine to be vocally coached by a professional trainer someday. However I do compare my own voice throughout my musical journey from the start until now. To some extent it has improved a lot better than when I first started out and that makes me feel good in a way.
And the second part of the question, what is so special about my voice (smiles). I leave this to my friends, well wishers and people who love and support me to answer…


CM: What do you like most as a girl?

SAMMI: Female species are the better creation of God that’s why I can walk around in pants and still pull it off by a mile than a man who wears kilts with hairy legs. Ahem. Jokes aside, girls are a beautiful paradox of unwavering strength and incredible softness like the water. A woman is a symbol of compassion. I love being a girl and to be able to play a role in the field of women empowerment one day would make my existence more meaningful.
And I want to wrap up with the words of one of my favourites by Mr. James Brown… “This is a man’s world… this is a man’s world… but it wouldn’t be nothing... nothing. Without a woman or a girl.” This song says it all for me and my girls out there..!






Newspaper Photograph of the Publication.

                        Hueiyen Lanpao Web Published Link : Interview with Sammi Yumnam




Sammi can be contacted at:
Facebook Sammi Yumnam


Questions Written & Revised by: Lukhendro Keisham | Co-ordinator: Ithoiba Potshangbam 


ARTISIA-voice of the stars Interview with SAMMI YUMNAM is done by Club Muzik Team.


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment